Best Cat Food Brands
Being a cat parent can be a stint sometimes. But at the same time, it is really rewarding. When you bring home a new cat, there are hundreds of questions flooding through your mind. How to get the cat acquainted with your home? How to know if your cat will adjust? How to feed it? More importantly, what to feed it? There are just so many “hows” and “whats”. But, there is nothing to worry about, it will come to you naturally.
Besides, we are there to help you with some of those questions. We have curated this blog to help you and several other cat parents to gather some knowledge about cats and their nutritional requirements. Now you can buy all these cat food online from mypetz.
Now that you have taken this leap of adopting one, you need to be knowledgeable and prepared.
Basic Cat Nutrition Guide
Articulating a complete and balanced diet for cats is not a very easy chore. The reason for this is that cats require a blend of several different kinds of nutrients and supplements to survive. The difficulty is not in providing all of these requisites, but in providing them in exact amounts. There should not be a deficit, but at the same time, there should not be a surplus either. Carrying forward, cats need Amino Acids, Protein (preferably sourced from animals), essential Fatty Acids, Carbohydrates, Vitamins, Minerals, and Water to survive healthfully. These requirements are basic and common to all cats. Nonetheless, these requirements will be guided by your cat’s size and age, amongst a few other factors as well.
Let’s have a brief discussion about these nutritional requirements.
Proteins and Amino Acids
Cats are obligate carnivores. Consequently, they derive most of their protein requirements from animal sources like meat, fish, etc. Animal protein is much more conveniently digestible than plant-based protein. There are a few amino acids that are found only in dietary proteins and cannot be synthesised by cats themselves. Therefore, proteins and amino acids can be together termed as the building blocks.
Fats and Fatty Acids
Cats require dietary fats that are sourced primarily from animal fats and oilseeds. This component constitutes to be the most crucial source of energy. Fats provide essential fatty acids that serve the purpose of carrying vitamins that are soluble only in fats. Furthermore, fats add texture and enhance the flavour of the food.
Just like fats, carbs are also a source of energy. However, they provide half as much energy provided by dietary fats. Carbs content needs to be carefully administered because excessive carbs are stored as fats and could lead to unwanted weight gain.
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins are crucial for metabolic purposes and help in the prevention of a lot of health issues. Cats require Vitamin A, Niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B6, B1, and B12, etc. Whereas, minerals like Calcium and Phosphorus are critical for bone health. Other trace minerals like Sodium, Magnesium, and Potassium are also required in menial amounts.
Energy Requirements in a Nutshell
Younger cats need about 60/65 kcals per pound of body weight. After around 3-4 weeks of birth, kittens should be started with additional foods because the mother’s feed can no longer fulfil the nutritional requirements alone. For adults, it is about 20-35 calories per pound.
Now that you have a basic idea about your cat’s nutritional requirements, it is safe to proceed to various kinds of cat foods that are available.
Types of Cat Food:
Cat foods are obtainable in a lot of forms.
- Dry cat food. You must have commonly heard about it as “Kibble”. It comes in little crunchy forms.
- Wet cat food. This kind of food comes in a pureed/soft consistency and is greatly loved by cats.
- Frozen raw food. This kind of food is raw meat/poultry in frozen form.
- Semi-moist food. This kind of food is similar to kibble, just that it is chewier and soaked beforehand.
Cats benefit the most from a blended feed, a combination of wet as well as dry foods. You may choose to feed wet food for a meal and then make the dry one available throughout the day. Besides, you can also mix the dry kibble with wet food to make it more appealing for your cat.
List of 8 Cat Food Brands in India
|Purepet Cat Food||
|Royal Canin Cat Food|
Whiskas Cat Food
|Me-O Cat Food|
Purina Cat Food
Sheba Cat Food
Drools Cat Food
Kennel Kitchen Cat Food
1. Purepet Cat Food
Purepet is a reliable cat food brand that makes flavoursome cat foods. The brand has been assessed nicely by a lot of cat parents because of its complete and nutritionally balanced varieties. Read Purepet Cat Food Review
- All the varieties contain Taurine, which is an essential amino acid for the heart as well as eyesight.
- The cat food contains a blend of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.
- It is safe to be given to all the breeds.
- There is enough prebiotics in the food to ensure that it is fibrous enough.
- It also helps to maintain the urinary pH level.
2. Royal Canin Cat Food
Royal Canin has been a part of the pet industry for over 50 years. They are driven by the sole aim of providing the best nutrition. They deliver excellence via quality in their products and focus solely on what cats need. Check out Is Royal Canin Good Cat Food?
- Royal Canin creates recipes based on the nutritional requirements of different breeds differently. They off tailor-made nutrition.
- It also offers therapeutic cat foods for specific medical conditions.
- All the kinds contain essential fatty acids like DHA, EPA, Omega 3, Omega 6 etc.
- The food contains enough Calcium, Phosphorus, and other minerals to ensure bone health.
- It contains Vitamin C to boost immunity.
- Prevents all kinds of food allergies.
3. Whiskas Cat Food
People at Whiskas love cats as much as you do. They have been in the business since 1958 and continue to deliver delicious and nutritious products for cats . Read Whiskas Cat Food Review
- Whiskas cat food is very flavoursome.
- All the varieties contain Taurine, which is an essential amino acid for the heart and eyesight.
- The amount of minerals added is controlled menially to support urinary health.
- It contains a special blend of Omega 6 and Zinc that ensures a healthy coat and skin.
- They provide therapeutic foods like Urinary pH control, Anti-Allergen food, Sensitivity food, etc.
4. Me-O Cat Food
Me-O cat food is a nutritional and savoury cat food option. The brand has a Thai base and has been available in India for a long time now. Cats have been observed to love almost all the varieties offered by it. Let,s find out Is Meo Cat Food Good
- It contains Taurine, which is a crucial amino acid for the heart and eyesight.
- The food is enriched with Calcium, Phosphorus, and Vitamin D to ensure bone and tooth health.
- The brand follows a low sodium recipe to maintain the pH of the urine.
- Enriched with Vitamin C to boost the immune system.
5. Purina Cat Food
Purina is a comprehensive and healthful cat food brand that focuses on adult cat nutrition. They rely majorly on protein-based nutrition to maintain lean muscle health. Read Complete Purina Cat Food Review
- It has enhanced levels of antioxidants to support the immune system.
- It also contains Taurine, which you know by now, is a very essential amino acid.
- It has a blend of essential omegas, 3 and 6.
- The ingredients that are used are high in fibre and easily digestible.
- Conscious calorie levels to maintain overall health.
- The formula that helps with bodyweight management.
6. Sheba Cat Food
Sheba is a recognised and thrifty brand for cat food. Its food has been designed to suit the particular taste preferences and palate that cats have. Its best selling kind is the Sheba Perfect Proportions cat food tray. Read Sheba Cat Food Review
- The food is highly rich in proteins.
- It contains a good amount of fibre and moisture.
- Sheba makes a number of savoury mixes.
- Very pocket-friendly.
7. Drools Cat Food
You must have heard about Drools when it comes to pet dogs. It has now become equally prominent for cats as well. All of the products have been made after discussing it with veterinarians and animal nutritionists. This is why you can blindly confide in the brand for your furball. Let’s find out Is Drools Cat Food Good for your pet
- It has a good variety in the dry cat food category.
- Complete and conventionally balanced with nutrition.
8. Kennel Kitchen Cat Food
You may call them the Masterchef! People behind Kennel Kitchen cat food contemplate all the olfactory factors and nutritional requirements while making food for your pets. They produce both crunchy dry kibble as well as savoury wet food. Read Kennel Kitchen Cat Food Review
- It contains all-natural condiments.
- The wet foods are more or less homemade. You will not be able to differentiate between the food you cook and the one Kennel kitchen offers.
- 100% balanced and complete.
- Contains all essential fatty acids.
- Free from all parabens, filler, artificial colours, and flavours.
These are pretty much the most loved cat foods that are easily obtainable in India.
Which kind of food is better, Wet food or Dry food?
Both kinds of food have their perks and flaws.
However, vets nowadays also recommend blended/mixed feeding techniques. This proves to be more beneficial for your cat than opting for a single kind of cat food. You may use the wet kind once/twice during the day depending on your cat’s nutritional requirement and liking. For the remaining part, you can provide it with crunchy dry kibble.
As per our research, Royal Canin Cat Food is the best cat food brand that you can go for. The cat food offered by the brand has all the conventional nutrients and condiments that are needed for a healthy diet. Besides, all the recipes have been verified by veterinarians and animal nutritionists. Not just this, they have more than enough alternatives for you to choose from.
1. Which is the best cat food brand for a sensitive stomach?
If your cat has a sensitive gut, then you should have a try at Royal Canin Therapeutic Cat Food – Sensitivity Control and Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Cat Food. These have been verified by the vets and are very effective in improving digestive health.
2. How much food should I feed my cat?
The amount, as well as frequency of feeding your cat, depends on several factors like its age, activity level, whether it is breastfeeding or not, as well as on the kind of food. Always discuss it with a vet before creating a feeding schedule and opting for the apt kind of cat food. Avoid indulging in intuitive feeding habits as your intuitions may not be spot-on and may hamper your cat’s well-being in the long run.
3. Can kitten eat adult cat food?
To begin with, adult cat food is not necessarily harmful if given to kittens. The point of difference is the unique nutritional requirements of a kitten and an adult cat. Kittens would not need many calories but require support in defences and immunity. Whereas, an adult may not need much assistance for defences but require more calories due to its larger size. Therefore, it will be adequate if you feed your cat based on its stage in life.
There are several brands that provide reliable and healthful cat food. We have now covered almost all as well as the good and bad things about each one of them. You now have sufficient information on your end to be able to make a conscious decision and make your cat fall in love with nutrition.